incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:16:37 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
[...]
> Actually, the STATUS file was in the context of the repo move:
>
>    [ ] Move svn repo from incubator to new location
>        [ ] Project updates the STATUS file to reflect graduation
>
> In other words, the STATUS file in the top level directory of the
> project's svn code repository. But!  I'm seeing that some, but not all
> asf projects have a file at (or near) the top of the repo named STATUS.

I spotted the same "discrepancy" myself a while back (I only found
one podling with a STATUS file -- Beehive). Eventually it turned out
that what was meant by the STATUS file was the podling's status Web
page.

> I think that was just how the derby mentor started the derby project off
> and I was generalizing. Should I remove this reference to the project
> repo status file?

That sounds reasonable to me. As I understand from Noel and David's

> And doublechecking http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-5
> against the updates to
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html, it looks
> like the incubator status file is
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/projectname.html . I had that on
> the list as this:
>
>     PPMC updates http://incubator.apache.org/projects/${PROJECT}.html
> with link to new website location.
>
> I think I should update that to this instead:
>
>     PPMC updates http://incubator.apache.org/projects/projectname.html
> with graduation status and link to new website location.

I would go with what's already in the policy, if only for consistency.
(Even though I personally prefer ${PROJECT} -- it makes it clear even
to notoriously confused people like me that the name of the file is
NOT projectname.html ;-)

Martin