incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:20:16 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Sam,
>
> it's not just a question of content and significance. It's also a
> question of fitting with existing projects and check to make sure that
> the project still adheres to the the charter of the PMC. These are
> better checked by outsiders ("Incubator PMC"), since the insiders ("WS
> PMC") may be biased.

I don't believe that it is the incubator's job to watch to make sure
that existing projects stay to their charters - that's the job of the board.

> Another thing i can think of is, for example, when HTTPComponents (by
> internal people) was being set up there was resistance from tomcat
> folks. But the scope got resolved by active participation by folks
> from tomcat and jakarta pmcs. IMHO, this will not happen if a PMC
> already voted to accept something even before Incubator PMC knows
> about it (not to mention the other PMC's who may significant input).

Again, I don't believe that it is the incubator's job to enforce scope.
  Furthermore, acceptance by the incubator is the start of a process,
not the end of it.  There should be adequate opportunity for people to
provide input during the course of incubation.

- Sam Ruby