incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Is there a "no graduate" option?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:15:05 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On December 22, 2005 3:26:57 PM -0500 Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As I look through the list of projects in the incubator, trying to figure
>> out where I can be useful, I notice several projects that have been in
>> the incubator for a LONG time.
>>
>> Which got me thinking ... is there a graceful exit option? I see on the
>> list that one project is listed as a "Failed incubation", which seems
>> really harsh. Is there an option for "You're very nice, but you just
>> don't fit at the ASF"? Or is it assumed that the two options are
>> "Graduate" and "Keep trying."
>
> It takes as long as it takes.
>
> The only requirement I have is that there is a continued effort towards
> attracting community.  If a project goes completely dormant (i.e. no
> traffic whatsoever), then yes it can fail and should be terminated.
>
> However, placing arbitrary limits on the Incubation period is the
> opposite of what we want to achieve.  It would "force" a community to
> meet artificial deadlines when that may be the worst thing we could do.

So, in your opinion, there is never a reason to tell a project, no, you
don't fit here? As long as they (think they) want to be at the ASF, we
should keep moving them in that direction?

Also, what signifies dormancy? Is there a time period after which
dormancy is indicated? Or is it the members of the project saying, yes,
we have abandoned the effort?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com