incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Growth
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:51:46 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On 12/21/2005 7:22 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Right now any PMC can automatically ok projects into incubator. How
>> about we change that rule? So that the only pmc that can  approve a
>> proposal is the incubator PMC.

++1

> Without putting too much thought into my response I think that the
> Incubator PMC wields enough control given that they have the final say
> on Incubation graduation.

Having a no vote in what enters the incubator, but only on what leaves:
1) sets up the folks doing the work for burnout due to the possibly
large numbers of projects in at any one time. Controlling throughput is
important.
2) sets up a larger number of projects for failure. If there is
(hypothetically) some compelling reason that a project isn't going to be
graduated, then isn't it better to be able to say that at the start,
rather than waiting for a certain number of hoops to be jumped through?

Yes, absolutely, I believe the incubator should have a vote up front to
approve what enters the incubator.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com