incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:57:39 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 8:22 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>>> I think that the incubation process is setting an incredibly
>>> low bar for access to the Apache brand name
>>
>> And we require disclaimers and clear notice that projects ARE in the
>> Incubator.  Look at how the folks are complaining that we are trying
>> to make
>> the projects look different by being in the Incubator.  They ARE
>> different.
>> And they MUST be Incubator branded, and follow Incubation rules.

> Most people in the world are unaware of the difference between an
> incubated project and an Apache project.  Roy has also stated that once
> a project is in the incubator it ought to be regarded as an Apache project.

that can be easily resolved.
you start up another domain say 'theincubator.org' or something 'proving
grounds' related and make sure it has no apache branding, and that no
project or PR firm can mention apache there.

projects of sufficient stature/passed the test of manhood get initiated
into the apache.org.

ie... it only starts becoming a apache project once it has finished the
incubation... I know technically this sounds identical to what is going
on, and to be honest it is. but for non-tech folks the non-association
is a big thing, and it will be harder for PR folk to say look.. it's an
apache think and make t-shirts for it etc etc