incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:14:49 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> Corporations see the  value of the brand name, that's why
> they want to come here and are  willing to put up with all our overhead.

I can't speak for all corporations, but I can speak to the proposals
that I have dealt with at my corporation.

IBM is fully aware that places like DeveloperWorks and SourceForge
exist.  The prevalent view is that such places tend to end up being
fishbowls whereby developers can work and be observed.  By contrast, the
ASF is viewed as a place to build a diverse and sustainable community.

This discussion, the attendant angst and so called "overhead", are
recognized as part of the package, i.e., necessary to establish the
desired diversity and community involvement.

- Sam Ruby