incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:21:34 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Adam Peller wrote:
>
>> AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
>
> I'm quite puzzled by this proposal. As I understand it, its mainly about
> a set of Eclipse plugins for Ajax applications and the Zimbra library
> that, among other features, provides a set of SWT-like widgets.

Yes.

> Also, this proposal pops up right after I mention on members@ that
> several projects at Apache are using or plan to use Dojo [1] and that we
> talked about inviting them. I sincerely hope this is just a coincidence.

Completely a coincidence.  I've been aware of the plan to submit this
proposal for several weeks, and hadn't seen your post until you
mentioned it.  I also had a conflict that precluded me from coming to
the ApacheCon.

As a general rule, the ASF doesn't go out "inviting", people within the
ASF either start a new project, or projects come to us.

In any case, the ASF is not exclusionary: if there was interest Dojo
could be added to this proposal, or could pursue a separate proposal.

> So the questions are:
> - is the ASF the place for Eclipse extensions? I don't deny the ability
> to _existing_ project to host their tooling, but this isn't the case here.

As I mentioned, I was involved with these discussions.  The ASF doesn't
tend to make these types of decisions based on the technical aspects of
a project.  What impressed me about the people who were proposing this
is that they were sincerely interested in the Apache License and
collaboration model.

While the Eclipse development model is certain a valid one, it is
different in a number of significant ways from the ASF.  Suffice it to
say that I am partial to the way the ASF does business.

> - why incubate an Ajax library that none of the current ASF projects
> uses nor plans to use, unless I missed something?

It is a valid question, but it is also valid to point out that the ASF
has projects as diverse as TCL and SpamAssassin.

What is more important is considerations that the code be licensed with
the Apache Software License (not dual licensed, like Dojo), that the
committer bases be diverse, and operate in an open and collaborative model.

> Sylvain
>
> [1] http://www.dojotoolkit.org/

- Sam Ruby