incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:46:56 GMT
This is part of the "Incubator Guidelines Documentation" project Noel
posted at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPAEBMFGAC.noel@devtech.com%3e

When Eddie and I briefly chatted at ApacheCon we agreed that there seems
to be a shortfall of information on the steps required for moving out of
the Incubator, and also that the steps would be different for graduating
as a new TLP (e.g., Eddie's experience with Beehive) or graduating into
an existing TLP (e.g., my experience with Derby into the DB project).

I'd like to initialize this topic now so we can capture JDO's experience
of moving into the DB project (nothing like fresh experience).

Here's a starting checklist based on one I started last summer when
Derby graduated:

[ ] Move svn repo
     [ ] Request svn repository/karma move from incubator to new location.
     ***Who should make this request? One of the project's mentors?
Anyone on the podling pmc?
     [ ] Remove the incubator disclaimer README at the top level
     [ ] Update the STATUS file to reflect graduation

[ ] Move web site
    [ ] Obtain karma for the new location on people.apache.org
    [ ] Check out/deploy the files in the new location
    [ ] Request redirect from old incubator URL to new
        *** Post this request to general@i.a.o ?
    [ ] After the redirect is verified working, delete any web cruft from
      /www/incubator.apache.org/${PROJECT}
    [ ] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/${PROJECT}.html
      update with link to new website location

[ ] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html
     Move project from "Currently Incubating" to "Successfully
Incubated" table.

corrections? additions? What additional steps does graduating as a new
TLP require?

thanks,

  -jean