incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubating java projects
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:57:47 GMT
On 21 Dec 2005, at 13:02, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> James,
>
> To be blunt, what is being done here? here's what i see as a casual
> observer to the infra list.
>
> - A bunch of projects are getting into Apache controlled by the same
> set of people (ServiceMix/ActiveMQ/XBean/WADI)

Not really; see the committer lists, they are all quite different.
But sure there's a bunch of existing apache developers who work on
some of those projects along with other Apache projects too.

> - Folks are getting completely unrelated projects into an umbrella
> project "Geronimo"

If anything is this an issue for Geronimo PMC not the incubator. Why
have you not brought this up there as you are a member of the PMC?

> - Folks involved want everything under the sun to be supported by
> infra folks

Huh? So far the ServiceMix & ActiveMQ teams have only asked for
subversion & mail :)

> - Folks dont want to use incubator.apache.org as the mailing list
> domain

See the other thread for that - the arguments for and against have
been fairly well articulated.

> - Folks dont want to even change their package name

I'm just asking an honest question here - I've already said, if there
really is a rule we'll follow it. I just want to know is there a rule
and if there is why does it exist.

> - Folks just want to do what they want to do regardless of precedent

Hardly - this is why we're asking for guidance on the incubator list
to see what we should do.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/