incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Tuscany SOA Project
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:13:18 GMT

On Nov 30, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> As much as I would enjoy seeing two umbrella projects duel over
> an amorphous set of marketing terms invented by IBM, I think the
> ASF should be developing products, not architectural styles.
> Although, calling SOA an architectural style would imply that it has
> some constraints -- does anyone know what they are?

Aren't you being a *tad* harsh here, Roy?  The proposal isn't to
develop an architectural style, but software for people working in
that style. (Whatever that is...)

So it's fair to take pot shots at SOA - we all do - but I think
there's an earnest effort here, and there's code that will seed it.

> I think we need to reorganize around federations, but that's a
> very long discussion that I have no time for right now.  We certainly
> don't need more than one WS/SOA federation.

WS and SOA are actually different, IMO, the former [usually] used by
the latter, but by no means required.  I have no strong feelings if
this needs to be sponsored by WS for some reason, but this is day 0
of incubation, there's a long road ahead, and I think that more
information will be available further down the road.  Right now, the
dynamics around SOA and SOA-ish things at Apache (and elsewhere) are
very fluid, and I'm betting we're going to see a bunch of interesting

> Please make the proposal specific to a single, technical product
> line that has objective criteria against which you can make basic
> decisions about what to release and when it is ready to release.
> That way we aren't just sponsoring a bunch of individuals, each
> working on their own solo project within an opaque mist of vague
> relationships.

I haven't seen the code, but they seem to be down the road to such a
thing already, and just want to do it here, with a major benefit of
dissolving said 'opaque mist' :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message