incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: Forums/Mailing lists Was: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:00:40 GMT
On 12/30/05, Thomas Dudziak <> wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Henri Yandell <> wrote:
> > On 12/30/05, Thomas Dudziak <> wrote:
> >
> > > Though that would probably be more of a
> > > forum-type community rather than a mailinglist-type community.
> >
> > A subject for a different thread; but after looking at the latest Jyve
> > stuff at ApacheCon, it seems entirely possible for a forum-type
> > community and a mailinglist-type community to be the same.
> > Nabble/GMane show that already, and something like Jyve could help do
> > that even more.
> As a user of other projects, I've always prefered a forum approach
> like Spring has. It is less annoying because I don't have to read tons
> of mails that do not interest me the least. E.g. consider a developer
> that has a question about, say, commons-collections. Currently this
> requires registration at the commons user mailing list which also
> deals with lang, digster, betwixt, ... all things that the developer
> does not actually care about.
> And forums typically have a good search function (e.g. the Spring
> forum does) which makes it easier to find info immediately (though
> gmane and work well).
> So for users, a forum IMHO might be better (at least instead of a user
> mailing list). Of course it would be best if the developers can still
> use the system as a mailing list, i.e. they get every forum entry as a
> normal mail and can reply via a normal mail. And for developer mailing
> lists I think mailing lists are better. If a non-committer subscribes
> to one of those, IMO he takes an interest in the project and does not
> mind getting every mail there.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

I left ApacheCon with a big list of todo's :) One of them is to see if
we can get a Jyve running for Commons at last (it's on every Commons
proposal, we've just never gotten a jyve setup).

We'd tie said Jyve to the commons-user list, as far as I can tell it
would be pretty transparant. We either:

a) have the email come from  Thomas Dudziak <>  or:
b) have the email come from and the moderator would
accept and allow that user.

I think the latter would work fine, it's effectively what's happening
now anyway.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message