incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:58:38 GMT
On 12/30/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > ie) Keep them as a part of Jakarta Commons [the community development
> > at Jakarta] or make a third component in Jakarta [along with Jakarta
> > General, the conversation place] called Jakarta Specs.
> >

> I'm not sure why Jakarta.  Since we've been talking about this (over

Reasons for Jakarta would be:

*) Good reuse of branding. Jakarta is still 'Java@Apache' to many out
there and I think we should use this instead of letting it drop.

*) Helps Jakarta become a Java Federation. Code reflects community
reflects code. By bringing the shared code to Jakarta, I believe the
shared community will be enhanced. Commons is already shared code,
though that is lessened recently because Jakarta is no longer the
shared community. Bringing the spec jars to Jakarta will help bring
the shared community.

*) Jakarta is neutral ground in Java terms at Apache. Increasingly so
as everyone leaves.

Reasons for not Jakarta:

*) Java specific.

*) Existing community might be -1 [I've not seen negatives yet though]

*) Have to mollify the worries about the 'old Jakarta'.

*) It could just go under the jcp structure.

Hen