incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:52:17 GMT
On 12/27/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
> Dropped jcp-open cross-post.
>
> On Dec 27, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think this would be great!  I know it's silly, but I get annoyed
> > at the fact that many of the J2EE spec jars that I use from apache
> > have "geronimo-" in the jar name but It's just the ASL 2.0 spec
> > jars that I'm using and not really a geronimo implementation.  In
> > general, I think that this would make a good TLP since it would
> > provide a good area for cross project involvement.
> >

> I agree - I think also that it would be as good a TLP as any.  Very
> specific charter, very clear goal.  That said, Henri had some things
> to offer w/ Jakarta.

And this has a lot to offer the idea of Jakarta as a federation. The
biggest negatives are:

1) It's definitely an aim to have a common Java federation at Apache;
so it'll be odd to try and bring non-Java spec implementations in.

2) These ideas are in some part quite new for the Jakarta community(s)
and some part completely new. So I've a bit of explaining to do over
there :)

Hen