incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Tuscany SOA Project
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:18:47 GMT
[I'm having mail problems but saw Roy's reply and want to respond,
because this is important, and I want to understand if I grok the
problem]

On Dec 1, 2005, at 6:13 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> So it's fair to take pot shots at SOA - we all do - but I think
> there's an earnest effort here, and there's code that will seed it.

Roy Responded :

> Sure, but unless the proposal reflects that effort I will vote
> against it.
> SOA should not be the proposal.

I think I understand the problem - it's the presentation in the
proposal - and having reviewed the proposal, I should have caught
it.   It reads like "mubble wubble SOA  woogie blah foo SOA fwink
thoobie wk SOA  boo SOA apooth SOA SOA ... SOA ... "

However, this proposal is about SCA specifically, not SOA generally.
Granted, SCA is about SOA, so we can continue to irritate our rotator
cuffs while we wildly wave our arms when talking about it, but for
this project, there's a concrete basis for development - there are a
set of developing specs for SCA listed in the proposal, and the seed
code is the start of a concrete implementation (in two languages, no
less...).  The initial goal is that implementation.

My expectation is that this will implement the spec and help drive
the spec, and the community (which must diversify if this is to
survive) will push it in the way the community wants to go.  This
isn't a reference implementation.

geir

P.S.  And note, the project is named 'tuSCAny', not 'tuSOAny'  :)

geirm@apache.org