incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:52:40 GMT

On Dec 27, 2005, at 10:12 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 12/27/05, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> Seems like an oxymoron, community should be active, but the code may
>> not, no?  How can this be?
>
> Two ways:
>
> 1) The conversation that Brett mentions. General pan-apache Java
> things. I'm a little worried about any authorization issues where only
> an EG is able to commit. If they get quiet, the community would be
> unable to make changes.

I'm missing something fundamental.  What would a JSR Expert Group
have to do with this?  We are talking about the API jars for
completed JSRs, right, and maybe other specs if there are any that
require similar machinations?  (I can't think of any...)

> I agree with Brett on the worry about 'how do I do servlets'
> questions. My recommendation would be to avoid a specs-users list
> until there are people asking relevant questions. Just make a
> specs-dev list to start with.

This is why I think of it as a depot - it's really about a single
storage place than a community project.  The problem we're trying to
solve (at least the motivation in Geronimo) is not how to get more
people working on the specs, because the projects that need them
already have a core interested group working - those spec jars are
just a secondary requirement of their real charter, which would be
doing a flesh-and-blood implementation of the spec in question.

The problem we were trying to solve was avoiding *collisions* -
Geronimo had JAXR, Scout had JAXR.  Geronimo had servlets, Tomcat had
servlets.  Etc.  It could be an unholy nightmare when you crossed the
beams, especially for things like JAXR that have factory methods, and
it wasn't clear which factory was getting called....

So I wouldn't imagine there would be much mail traffic at all.  Maybe
I'm wrong and there is some latent interest in participating in rote
implementation from JavaDoc, but I can't see it myself.

geir

geirm@apache.org