incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:12 GMT

On Dec 30, 2005, at 9:50 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

>> I think it was just coming out of incubation, but yes, that's
>> something
>> we should point to somehow.
>
> I agree. This point actually raises something else - it would be a bit
> silly to have a specs project ("here are all our Java specs!") if it
> doesn't have them all ("...except this one, this one, and this one").
>
> Is it worth asking them to move too, and do we need to make sure they
> all agree first, or do we just agree to link out to them?

Once it's in an easily-obtained and well-advertised download location
does it matter where the jdo-spec jar is built? There is a good
reason to build the jdo-spec jar as part of the project (it's a
dependency of the other sub-projects in Apache JDO).

> I understand the earlier point that there might not be a lot of coding
> going on here and that might hinder building any community around it.
> However, its another excuse for a bunch of people doing Java stuff to
> get together in one place, and maybe meet a wider community of people
> at Apache. That can only be a good thing.
>
>> It would be nice to have a JDO2 impl here as well...
>
> Getting off-topic, but does that really need to be here? Is there
> anything stopping people from getting involved in jpox, who as I
> understand it work very closely with the jdo team here and are the RI?

The JPOX folks who provide the JDO 2 RI are also committers on the
Apache JDO project. Not the reverse, but there's no stopping Apache
JDO folks from joining the JPOX project.

Craig