incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Forums/Mailing lists Was: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:55:15 GMT
> On 12/30/05, Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Though that would probably be more of a
> > forum-type community rather than a mailinglist-type community.
>
> A subject for a different thread; but after looking at the latest Jyve
> stuff at ApacheCon, it seems entirely possible for a forum-type
> community and a mailinglist-type community to be the same.
> Nabble/GMane show that already, and something like Jyve could help do
> that even more.

As a user of other projects, I've always prefered a forum approach
like Spring has. It is less annoying because I don't have to read tons
of mails that do not interest me the least. E.g. consider a developer
that has a question about, say, commons-collections. Currently this
requires registration at the commons user mailing list which also
deals with lang, digster, betwixt, ... all things that the developer
does not actually care about.
And forums typically have a good search function (e.g. the Spring
forum does) which makes it easier to find info immediately (though
gmane and marc.theaimsgroup.com work well).
So for users, a forum IMHO might be better (at least instead of a user
mailing list). Of course it would be best if the developers can still
use the system as a mailing list, i.e. they get every forum entry as a
normal mail and can reply via a normal mail. And for developer mailing
lists I think mailing lists are better. If a non-committer subscribes
to one of those, IMO he takes an interest in the project and does not
mind getting every mail there.

Tom