incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: simplifying the generation of Incubator website
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:54:21 GMT
I missed this originally...Noel told me to go respond anyway...

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPOEOAFIAC.noel@devtech.com%3e

David Crossley wrote on Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:31:58 +1100:
<snip/>
> Now on to the issues with using Forrest.
>
> Yes we know that it is a little cumbersome and needs to be
> installed. I am concerned that this might be contributing
> to the hold-up with editing the docs.

I think so.

> Not trying to make excuses, but Forrest is pre-1.0 so it
> should be expected to be a little difficult. Anyway, lets
> try to either find out what can be improved or look at using
> something else.
>
> Incubator started before i joined, so can someone tell what
> was the reason for choosing Forrest.

I think it came down to Nicola Ken doing the work and using
Forrest because well, he liked it. Eg:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200210.mbox/browser

before that there was talk on the reorg@ list, which I think
I unsubscribed from before that talk happened.

> It is a publishing
> framework, and perhaps the simple needs of Incubator do not
> warrant its use.

It seems like that.

> One beauty is that the content can be edited as simple html
> docs, rather than an xml format.
>
> My guess about the stumbling block for some people is the
> need to check the final result into svn. Also the need to
> copy files from build/site into site-publish and then do
> svn add or svn remove files. I think that we can get
> Cocoon to generate the files directly into site-publish
> directory if that helps.

This is not the stumbling block. Most people working on the site
know how to use anakia just fine, which has pretty much the same
workflow, except you type 'ant', not 'forrest site'.

> Another trouble is that for just changing one little document,
> then Cocoon needs to generate everything. Sorry not much we
> can do about that at this stage. There is a trick which i will
> document. There is also "local forrestbot" which i will
> explain after the upgrade.
>
> Can people define any other issues? Probably best to keep
> specific stuff until i have upgraded to 0.7 next week.

The answer to why people might not've responded was because it
says so right there to wait with that until some upgraded finishes.
Anyway, a little later some answers to that question were formulated
several times in this thread:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3c20051227140218.GA60941@bali.sjc.webweaving.org%3e

I think this also clearly shows why people keep talking about forrest
on this list -- there's forrest developers asking for it.

- LSD