incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:32:07 GMT

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

<snip/>

>> Is it permissible to commit code to our repositories that were under, say,
>> GPL (for when a project, like SA, re-licenses)?
>
> Yes. Relicensing means the copyright owners offer a different set
> of terms for the same code -- they do not have to change the files
> for that to take effect.

So what would it mean if Project Foo comes to the ASF, having released
their 1.0 beforehand under the GPL, and then I grab the 1.0 code from the
ASF repo and release that as my own version of the original 1.0? Can I
release this new version under the Apache License, thereby effectively
retroactively relicensing 1.0 under that license, or is that version still
GPL, therefore meaning GPL code is checked into the ASF repo? I don't
really understand how this would work, but it seems kinda important.

--
Martin Cooper