incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2005 04:33:33 GMT
On Friday 23 December 2005 21:55, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> There are lots of bad reasons to come to the ASF and high on my list
> is "to take advantage of the brand".

A safe bet is that there are a lot of "brand talks" involved in the
discussions "let's move to Apache".

I am sure that there are "brand leveraging" going on in existing projects and
their 'affiliated' companies. I am sure individuals leverage the brand for
private awards, be it speaker engagements, consultancy jobs or what not.

ASF can not escape "the brand" due to its success in various projects. It
needs to embrace that this is a reality, and deal with it in a dilligent
manner. Saying "fascination of the Apache brand" disqualifies a project for
Incubation is far too naive, leading to acceptance of those projects that
manages to mask or hide such "fascination". IMHO, rules that can be broken
without detection is effectively of no use.

A sidenote to that; It is interesting to notice that many projects seeking
incubation, make the assertion that "ASF is strong in building
communities" (which seems to sooth ASF a lot), yet projects are expected to
have strong communities prior to being accepted.

Cheers
Niclas