incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject storing documentation in Subversion
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:10:46 GMT
This is a topic that i often hear, not only at new projects.
People are not sure what needs to be stored in svn and why.

A while ago, Noel raised the issue on the infra@ list. [1]
Unfortunately not much follow-up. So i wonder if we can
resolve it here and then document the outcome.

I see at least three issues. They are probably related.

-----------
The current operating principle is that we store all
source content in the official revision control system.
Some people have said that that is a dictate.

That includes everything: code, configuration files,
source content for docs, letters received, meeting minutes,
logos, everything.

It would be useful to list the reasons for doing that
and the benefits. Here are some to get started:

* History and origin of material.
* Recording who changed what and when and why.
* Ability to revert to any past revision of each resource.
* Easy archival, backup, and replication.
* Enable data mining, statistics, and relationships.
* Enable anyone to review the past contributions
without contacting us.
* Enable developers to use any editor tools that they
choose, to edit the content.

Is there also a requirement that we need to track
our assets by virtue of being a Foundation?

-----------
We also store generated documentation in SVN.
This makes it very easy to restore or replicate
the websites.

There are stalled discussions at Infra site-dev list
about alternatives to that process.

With the advent of new documentation management tools
(e.g. Lenya, JackRabbit, Daisy) and their potential
use by ASF projects for their project documentation,
we are seeing questions about how to enable the
storage of the sources for documentation.

In my opinion we should continue to use SVN.

What do others think?

-David

[1]