incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <>
Subject Re: Growth
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:43:09 GMT

On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> On 12/21/2005 7:22 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>> Right now any PMC can automatically ok projects into incubator. How
>>> about we change that rule? So that the only pmc that can  approve a
>>> proposal is the incubator PMC.
> ++1

I also agree, after some thought.

>> Without putting too much thought into my response I think that the
>> Incubator PMC wields enough control given that they have the final
>> say on Incubation graduation.
> Having a no vote in what enters the incubator, but only on what
> leaves:
> 1) sets up the folks doing the work for burnout due to the possibly
> large numbers of projects in at any one time. Controlling
> throughput is important.

My so-called "Denial of Service Attack" on the Incubator :)

> 2) sets up a larger number of projects for failure. If there is
> (hypothetically) some compelling reason that a project isn't going
> to be graduated, then isn't it better to be able to say that at the
> start, rather than waiting for a certain number of hoops to be
> jumped through?

Yes, but we can't think of incubation failure as "failure" - that's
actually a successful outcome for the incubator, as it's doing its
job in that case.  Not everyone will want to work our way, not every
project will catch a diverse community interest, etc.  I'd prefer we
call it something else - like  "retired from incubation" or
something.   A job a long time ago taught me very well that you
should never be afraid to fail if you go at things with good
intentions and good effort.