incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:15:35 GMT

On Dec 30, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>

>>> Does it need to?  only if people want it.  JPOX is the RI, and I
>>> always feel that a truly competitive impl of a spec isn't going
>>> to be the RI. You don't want to do real extension and surrounding
>>> innovation in an RI,  I figure...
>> I don't necessarily agree with either point. JPOX has gained a lot
>> of credibility and good press by being the RI, and it will
>> continue to innovate in the product space as well.
>
> I'm not at all in any way attacking or disrespecting JPOX.  I just
> tend to keep a clear distinction between RI and indep impls.

I was commenting on " a truly competitive impl of a spec isn't going
to be the RI", which I agree with in most cases but not necessarily all.

>> The Sun-branded Java EE server is also the RI and has been for the
>> last three releases starting with J2EE 1.3.
>> Of course, for some, I've proved your point. ;-)
>
> Yes, I think you did exactly.  And it was my understanding that the
> Sun-branded server isn't quite the RI?  That product development
> also goes on top of the RI to make the products?

The only difference between the RI and Sun's entry-level enterprise
(oxymoron?) product offering is the branding/installation. Sun has
additional products that add functionality to the RI like clustering
and failover.

Craig