incubator-general mailing list archives

From rgardler_apa...@saafe.org
Subject RE: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:20:50 GMT
> David,
>
>> Some troubles at the ASF are that:
>> a) We cannot run java-based applications on apache
>> hardware (perhaps when the zones.a.o machine is
>> out of testing phase).
>
>> b) There are various projects using Forrest
>> but no ASF-wide installation for them to use
>> server-side.
>
>  - zones is out of testing
>  - we have new hardware that is being donated
>
> If you need a place to run your code, please see infra@ for help getting
> it
> setup.

That is great news.

We'll discusss exactly what the right approach is on the Forrest lists and
get back to infra. We've been doing various tests on our own zone for a
while now.

>> c) The results are committed to SVN (which is
>> nice because it enables easy site restoral and
>> other things).
>
> Alternative would be to have source materials in SVN, and generated
> artifacts in the site-build server.  But you know all about that proposal.
> :-)

Forrest has been moving towards the site-build proposal steadily. Most of
our devs are on the site-dev list and see what little is discussed there.
We are actually much closer to it than people not onthe Forrest lists will
realise. We've not reported to the sie-dev list because we are not there
yetand have learnt our lessons about speaking publically too early.

Ross