incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: simplifying the generation of Incubator website
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 03:25:42 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> I did a bit of Incubator generation a week or so ago.
>
> Forrest was a problem, but only in that it was a bump I had to get
> over and so I put it off for a week. When I actually attacked the
> problem with momentum, the Forrest part was quite enjoyable. Only
> problem is that you have to know to go look in the archives to
> download the older version.

I am updating things as we speak and i expect it to be much
easier.

> The weirdest bit for me was that we don't generate straight onto the
> svn version of the target documents. Instead we generate, use diff and
> then copy. It seems much simpler to generate onto the target and use
> svn diff to confirm each difference.

Thanks Henri. That is one aspect that i already referred to:

> > Also the need to
> > copy files from build/site into site-publish and then do
> > svn add or svn remove files. I think that we can get
> > Cocoon to generate the files directly into site-publish
> > directory if that helps.

The only trouble that i see with that approach is that
one needs to remember to 'svn delete' any removed files,
not only documents but also any CSS and images that Forrest
might change with a future release. We will deal with
that cleanup issue separately.

Thanks so much for the feedback Henri. I reckon that
you have found the main impediment.

-David