incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: incubating jabberd2?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:12:42 GMT
--On September 2, 2005 3:03:08 PM -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter@jabber.org> wrote:

> I've talked with the developers of the jabberd2 server [1] about the
> possibility of initiating their Jabber/XMPP server into the ways of
> Apache. They're open to and interested in incubation and would like to
> know if Apache folks might be interested, too. If so, I'll work with them
> to develop a proposal.
>
> [1] http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/2/
>
> Thoughts?

Sure, we welcome any proposals.  It sounds like a good idea.

Two quick points:

Can you please clarify how you envision this cooperating with the Jabber
Software Foundation?  I'm not 100% clear on the JSF's relationship to
Jabber - I realize who you are, so I doubt that it is going to be a
problem.  We've had some problems lately on this front with other
open-source groups, so I want to be clear everyone knows up front what the
relationship will be.

jabberd2 appears to be GPLd - all ASF projects must be under the ALv2.
It's no problem to convert - but it requires sign-off from everyone
involved.  So, there will be a bunch of paperwork involved.  ;-)

Thanks!  -- justin