incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: a few steps before approving a project
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:32:49 GMT
The problem is that, up until the Incubator, there was
relatively little oversight on new and incoming projects, at
least in how they entered the ASF. Certainly the board
could not keep track, and PMCs would occasionally
not keep the board up to date. You then add in the fact
that some of those projects had no concept of what
the ASF was about, etc,... and it was a non-optimal
situation.

The Incubator was designed to be a funnel and a clearinghouse
for new projects; yes, for the legal aspects, yes to
ensure that the community grows and develops as it
should, but also, I feel, to look at projects and
see how they fit; to basically be the eyes and ears of
the board with respect to these new projects.

Now certainly having a PMC sponsor a project says
a great deal and the Incubator does, and should,
know that that approval carries a lot of weight.
But again, I don't feel it is unreasonable for the
Incubator also formally accept a podling, via
some mechanism.

To be blunt, the PMC is worried about the PMC alone; the
Incubator is concerned about the ASF in general. Once in
a rare while, the 2 might have conflicts.

Lets be even more blunt. Once a podling is accepted
into the Incubator, it is awarded almost instant credibility.
Basically, it is using the Apache name and the Apache
brand. Certainly the Incubator should ensure that any
podling doesn't abuse that, and it should also ensure that
the proposal and podling isn't just an avenue for creating
instant buzz and instant credibility, for the benefit
of the podling 1st and the ASF secondly (or less).

The board has said many times, concerning growth, that
when the brakes need to be applied, the Incubator would
be the 1st entity to feel it, or want it. They are
the canary in the coal mine.