incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: OpenStatServer is interested in Apache Incubation
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:02:38 GMT
On Sep 13, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 02:16, Gabe Rudy wrote:
>> In our last meeting, we decided to seek out an organization to hold
>> the
>> copyrights an provide legal protection for the open source project.
>
> FYI, Apache Software Foundation does not hold the copyrights,

That is not always true.  The Apache Software Foundation does not
require that new contributions be in the form of a copyright assignment.
However, the ASF has not rejected such an assignment when it has
been offered.  If there is a legitimate reason for desiring to
assign copyright to the ASF and there is nothing legally preventing
such an assignment, then I believe the board of directors would be
willing to accept ownership of copyright for code contributed
to one of our projects.

However, I suggest that you find out first whether there is
sufficient interest at Apache to support a collaborative project.

....Roy