incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: a few steps before approving a project
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:22:11 GMT
David Reid wrote:
> Cliff asked me to reply on this subject following the discussions on
> board@. I'm not trying to interfere, just add some thoughts from someone
> sitting on the outside looking in.

<snip/>

>>- add a question to the template asking whether the person(s)
>>proposing are aware of similar open source projects inside or outside
>>the ASF.  I'm not suggesting that a project wouldn't get approved if
>>there is some similar high profile open source project, but at least
>>we are explicitly asking the question and getting the information.
>>

> When people submit a proposal they've invested their time and effort in
> getting to that point, and they probably know the projects that are
> related in the open source (and probably commercial) world quite well.
> Asking them to list them and give some background about where the
> proposed project will sit seems like a logical step and one that will
> help those making the evaluation consider the wider ramifications.
>
> As Cliff says, I don't think a proposal should be rejected just because
> there is a similar project in existance, but knowing about the other
> projects makes it easier to judge the merits and likely impact of the
> project.

And, as I said elsewhere, on top of asking what other open source
projects exist in the same space, we should ask if there is any overlap
between the proposed project and those other open source projects. Is
our project being seeded with their source code? will we have any
committers in common? Is this a fork? Is this a transfer, including
community? Has this been checked with the 'project owner' of the other
project?

That sort of thing. To my mind, that is the information you are trying
to identify, not just whether there are any other competing OSS projects.

Regards, Upayavira