incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@jabber.org>
Subject Re: incubating jabberd2?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:44:46 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Can you please clarify how you envision this cooperating with the Jabber
> Software Foundation?  I'm not 100% clear on the JSF's relationship to
> Jabber - I realize who you are, so I doubt that it is going to be a
> problem.  We've had some problems lately on this front with other
> open-source groups, so I want to be clear everyone knows up front what
> the relationship will be.

I realize it's confusing, but the Jabber Software Foundation does not
develop software (we really need to change our name one of these days!).
Instead, the JSF defines the XML wire protocols and leaves the writing
of code up to the many open-source projects in the community as well as
to various commercial entities (e.g., companies such as Sun, Apple, and
most recently Google have written implementations of the protocols). So
the JSF is kind of like an open W3C or mini IETF and its work would not
overlap in any way with the ASF as far as I can see.

> jabberd2 appears to be GPLd - all ASF projects must be under the ALv2.
> It's no problem to convert - but it requires sign-off from everyone
> involved.  So, there will be a bunch of paperwork involved.  ;-)

The jabberd2 developers know about the licensing requirement and are
fully willing to switch to ALv2. The number of contributors has been
fairly small, with no long-lost contributors who would need to be
tracked down etc., so I think the switch-over should be fairly
straightforward.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre