incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Recent Incubator proposals ( was Re: a few steps before approving a project)
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:08:38 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Am still waiting for someone to point
> out to an actual problem ("factually incorrect press releases"). Last
> time i checked, people pay to put out press releases to make them look
> good. ("seek to spin Synapse into something that makes other companies
> look good.").
>
> May be justin is right, we should ban anyone involved in any incubator
> project from making press releases. As far as i know no one has caught
> flak so far derby had press releases, beehive had them, stdcxx had
> them...

and stdcxx is the other example in the last 45 days of a badly written
release (which was subsequently corrected, after it was initially
published.)  This seems to be a pattern.  Of course Covalent, my own
employeer, published something in conjunction with the donation of
mod_aspdotnet.  But then again, Jim Jag and I both are on that marketing
staff about making accurate statements when it comes to the ASF.

We have to be very careful on the cusp of commercial code becoming ASF
based code... the marketing depts are still stuck on the 'our code'
model, and are unlikely to grok the ASF concept (offending us and many
of our fans and detractors)...

...so maybe an outright ban is appropriate?  Or maybe the 'press
education' planned by the PRC should actually be 'vendor education'
upfront, to avoid misattributions.

Bill