incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: a few steps before approving a project
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:33:35 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> IMHO, Incubator CANNOT take a decision based on a proposal. A badly
>> written proposal with best of intentions will not make it and folks
>> will not resubmit stuff just because a similar proj got rejected
>> before. I've always thought that the role of Incubator is to make SURE
>> that a project is ready for becoming a normal ASF project.
>>

> Also, the Incubator has the responsibility to watch a podling
> and determine if it should continue. Certainly this would imply
> that it has the responsibility to do so at the start. Plus,
> the Incubator has the responsibility for the "acceptance"
> of the new project. I just think that a RTC policy is
> better than a CTR policy for that acceptance, for the same
> reason we do so with code: stability and reliability.

I'm guessing you ment the stability and reliability of the Apache
Software Foundation, not the 0.0.1 release candidate of a newly minted,
incubating project :)

And with that justification, +1 across the board to your previous
comments.

Davanum - and other critics of this proposal - it's going to be your job
to ensure that the incubator doesn't use this responsibility as a club,
indescriminantly or worse yet, to descriminate about certain types of
software, languages, healthy communities or so on.  Remember that the
folks exercising this oversight serve at the pleasure of the board, and
if there are problems here, the problems can be addressed on a case by
case basis :)

Bill