incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: a few steps before approving a project
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:32:06 GMT

On Aug 31, 2005, at 7:25 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Cliff,
>

>> - change the Incubator PMC charter (not that we have a official
>> charter) to include approving of all new projects
>>

> To quote (or paraphrase) Roy, it is not the Incubator PMC's role to
> second
> guess other ASF PMCs when it comes to introducing new ASF projects.

No, but it is the role of the Incubator to ensure that
new projects are in the best interest of the foundation,
and not simply be a rubber stamp. The Incubator, for
example, I think has the responsibility to be able
to say "You know, this is a great proposal, but there
are too many podlings right now, and we cannot accept
it" and have that honored.

For things as important as new projects within the
ASF, having the Incubator vote on acceptance is, I
think, a small consideration.