incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gabe Rudy <r...@goldenhelix.com>
Subject OpenStatServer is interested in Apache Incubation
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:16:47 GMT
Greetings,

I'm voluntarily representing the OpenStatServer project (openstatserver.com)
which is a collaborative effort to provide an open system for acessing
computational models (from environments like R, SAS, Matlab etc) via a single
well-defined client interface.

The project has developer support from a couple large corporations with
interest in seeing the project succeed. For example, our project lead,
Gregory Warnes, and some other developers work at Pfizer. The project has
already matured to the point of having the infrastructure of a hosting
service and CVS repository, the development of a alpha code base and the
commitment of a team of developers and supporters.

In our last meeting, we decided to seek out an organization to hold the
copyrights an provide legal protection for the open source project. The
community and well established reputation of the Apache Foundation
immediately caught our interest. Our first step was to move to the Apache 2.0
license, and now we would like to apply for candidacy as an Apache Incubator
project.

I realize that a valid candidate requires a nomination from a member of the
Apache Software Foundation and a sponsor by the Apache board, a Top Level
Project or the Incubator PMC. As far as nomination goes, I would encourage
anyone to visit our web site (http://openstatserver.com) and if the project
excites you contact Gregory (Gregory.R.Warnes@Pfizer.com) or me with any
questions you might have. Since the nature of OpenStatServer does not
obviously fall under any one of Apache's top level projects, I would hope
that the Incubator PMC would take enough interest in the project to sponsor
it.

If there is anything I can do to future OpenStatServer's position as a
candidate, I would by happy to see to them or bring them up in our meeting
this Friday.

Thanks,
Gabe Rudy
--