incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: incubating jabberd2?
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 12:42:14 GMT

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> I've talked with the developers of the jabberd2 server [1] about the
> possibility of initiating their Jabber/XMPP server into the ways of
> Apache. They're open to and interested in incubation and would like to
> know if Apache folks might be interested, too. If so, I'll work with
> them to develop a proposal.

Obviously this is needs to be a very concious and full community choise
for the entire 'them' - i.e. the whole deveoper community. In that process
a number of things need to be clarified and cleaned up.

->	Right now there is the Jabber Software Foundation (which odly
	seeems more concerned with protocol than wiht code :-).

->	The current code is under the GPL. And I am fairly sure that
	few, if any, developers have ever excuted any (c) transfers
	or (c) licenses. Furthermore - some of it may be developed
	in the 'boss its time' - perhaps even jabber.com. So any
	work here would propably involve some historic work and
	a full purge/cleansing.

->	There are very few developers on that code base. All of
	you folks would neeed to be on board.

->	There is no point in doing this if the end result of all
	this is a fractured jabber community or an abandoned version
	of the code base. As we, that is the ASF, care more about a self
	sustaining healthy community for the long term.

->	We may have to look at patent issues as well.

And perhaps even more important - we need to wonder if there is a healty
commercial ecosystem around jabber - and if there is synergy between all
teh various parties - and what messaging, trust and reassuring is needed
to ensure that that synergy gets bettter. Noting of course that with the
transition of the jabber protocol to a `proper' XMPP - there is safeness
for folks to collaborate on the protocol stack.

Dw