incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDO2 Snapshots
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:46:00 GMT
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > Snapshots are not releases.  Releases require three binding +1s,
> > a majority of positive votes, and a verifiable signature.
>
> > I think it is absurd for any project to be distributing snapshots
> > to end-users since it bypasses our mechanism of oversight.
>
> And this is true for all projects, not just Incubator projects.

So I guess we should banish the concept of nightly builds of any
Apache project?  :-)

More seriously, I agree with your subsequent comment about putting
things into repositories that get downloaded automatically (without
the user necessarily understanding the provenance of what they are
downloading) is crossing the line.  When I manually download a nightly
build, I should have enough sense to understand what I'm doing (as
well as what the "incubating" adjective in the filename means).
Expecting me to go examine all the individual dependency downloads my
build script does, every single time, is a bit much.

Craig