incubator-general mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a few steps before approving a project
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:25:09 GMT
On 8/31/05, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 11:43 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > The Incubator's charter from the board says:
> >         <http://incubator.apache.org/resolution.html>
> >
> >         RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC be and hereby is
> >         responsible for the acceptance and oversight of new products
> >         submitted or proposed to become part of the Foundation; and be
> >         it further
> >
> > Previously, the board had to deal with this directly.  The board delegated
> > this to the Incubator PMC.
>
> Whoa. I had understood this as "incoming external projects" instead of
> any in-bred ones.
>
> So by your (and Jim's) interpretation, we did Axis2 wrong?? We started
> that with people who were Axis committers and started with no external
> code contrib from anyone. We didn't go thru the incubator - just created
> an SVN tree and started hacking.
>
> Are you guys saying that that was wrong and that the incubator had to
> get involved to teach us the Apache way? Huh?
>
> Can we get board clarification on this please? Reading the above
> resolution that is by no means clear, at least to me.

I can tell you how I've always advocated where the line is, and I
always *thought* most folks agreed with this, but I could be wrong:

The Incubator is responsible for incubating code for legal issues and
committers for community issues.  Any large base of incoming code
(such as would require a software grant) should be "incubated" to the
extent that the Incubator PMC is satisfied that there are no obvious
licensing issues -- if this is the only issue it can be a very quick
process.  Any brand new community should also be "incubated"; in other
words, if a new subproject gets started at a PMC and that subproject
is primarily composed of new committers with a new or non-existent
community, then the project should live under the supervision of the
Incubator PMC prior to graduating.

So, it sounds like this wouldn't have applied to Axis2.

Cliff