incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: a few steps before approving a project
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:43:30 GMT
--On September 1, 2005 12:29:55 AM +0600 Sanjiva Weerawarana
<sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Does the incubator PMC get involved with that too? (I'd be most
> certainly -1 to that; I am not agreeable to saying all PMCs are now
> throttled by the incubator PMC.)
>
> If not, then doesn't the problem you're trying to solve still exist at a
> different level??

The Incubator's charter from the board says:
        <http://incubator.apache.org/resolution.html>

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC be and hereby is
        responsible for the acceptance and oversight of new products
        submitted or proposed to become part of the Foundation; and be
        it further

Previously, the board had to deal with this directly.  The board delegated
this to the Incubator PMC.

> A general "Related Work" section would be good. I think its very prudent
> to ask for commercial competition as well, would you agree?? Some of the

Sure: what information does the Incubator PMC need to make a decision?

>> - require that the Incubator PMC loops in the PRC on any project that
>> could have any chance of media attention (either because of the
>> overall significance of the project, the potential for controversy,
>> expected vendor press releases, or the opportunity to release a joint
>> statement with some other organization).
>
> So this would be no matter whether there's a press release involved?
> Justin was advocating that incubating projects be barred from doing PR
> at all .. so are you suggesting they can, as long as PRC is involved?
> (Which BTW is the current process.)

I think a heads-up so that the PRC can be on the lookout for stories or
opportunities to seed a story is 'nice' behavior.

Note that my suggestion w.r.t. blocking projects from PR was just that - a
suggestion.  I don't set policy by myself.  -- justin