incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dittert, Eric" <eric.ditt...@intel.com>
Subject RE: JDO2 Snapshots
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:08:26 GMT

I don't have as much historical context as others on this discussion but here are a few (possibly
naïve) thoughts:

1) If you discourage making releases while in incubation, aren't you effectively preventing
projects that have, through whatever mechanism, already acquired a significant user base from
entering the Apache fold (or at least making life much more difficult for them)?

2) It seems that perhaps some people see widespread adoption as a good way to get more developers
involved, and thus as a way to meet the community-building requirements.  Certainly it seems
to me that the user-turned-contributor is part of the common vision/folklore of OSS.  Is there
a subtle distinction of some kind that is being missed?

3) If the point is to get projects out of incubation, aren't there better management techniques
than restricting the ability to do releases?  It seems that you might be better off setting
positive goals and demanding that they be met.

-- Eric