incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Incubating Project Releases (was Re: JDO2 Snapshots)
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:30:00 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On 8/10/05, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
>
>>Cliff Schmidt wrote:

>>>I completely agree, and I believe this is exactly what projects want to do.
>>>
>>>Are there any PMC members who disagree with Roy's opinion?
>>
>>Certainly not me.
>>
> I just really want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting Roy's
> statement.  Why would there be any debate at all about what JDO wanted
> to do if the statement above was the consensus of the PMC?

Because they wanted to do something else, namely publish a snapshot to a
maven repository, a thing which exists primarily so build tools can do
automated downloads of its contents without bothering the user of said
build tool much about it, hence lacks "appropriate disclaimers".

Furthermore, its becoming common practice around the open source java
land to call things a "snapshot" to wiggle out of doing "proper voting"
or building "verifiable releases".

So they failed at least one and potentially all of the requirements.

- LSD