incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [ftpserver] Contributing to FTPServr
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:49:33 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 00:42, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 11:12 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>

>>>An interesting "enhancement" would be to base it on MINA, which is a NIO
>>>subsystem, made to drive high volume traffic, and has an active
>>>community. It currently resides in Apache Directory Server project. It
>>>suits well with the MINA scope, and would then have a good home and not
>>>orphaned like now. Protocols already implemented on top of MINA (IIUC)
>>>includes LDAP, Kerberos, DHCP and DNS.
>>>

>>Is there an HTTP impl on top of MINA? I'd love to get that to build a
>>standalone framework for Axis2 (ideally with Spring).

Too bad.  We have a dependency presently on Spring which we're trying to
get rid of in favor of an OSGi container.

>I don't think there is within Apache DS, but there might be people externally
>working on it. Better to ask on the dev list at directory.apache.org.

We actually thought about it.  Furthermore we thought about storing
server and vhost configuration information within the directory which
can be replicated.  Even besides that we might need a web application
for web based server setup and administration.  An https server would
also be needed for a UDDI server backed by ApacheDS.  UDDI and therefore
an http server just makes sense.  There already exists a published LDAP
schema for UDDI.  This might come in handy for the Axis folks.

Yeah we're interested since it would compliment the directory backed DNS
and DHCP servers that are already in the works.  As a matter of fact I
think the DNS server is already operational.  Enrique would know more
about this though.  Getting a little off topic here so let me say that
we're ready to work with people interested in directory backed services
using MINA.

MINA incidentally was designed to do in a single process what
essentially xinetd does.  Services for protocols snap in and use the
same plumbing.  It really works out well for us since we embed several
services into ApacheDS like the Kerberos service not to mention the LDAP
service and soon NTP.

Alex