incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for Comment : Harmony Contribution Policy
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:43:15 GMT

On Aug 1, 2005, at 8:16 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>> Comments?  (Like I need to ask for them... )
>>

> Re: Part VIII :  Employment Limitations
>
> may need to think about the differences in employment law in different
> jurisdications.

Yes - we've already encountered comments about that on the list.

> AIUI European employment law typically does not recognise the concept
> of trade secrets and strictly limits the rights of employers to
> material created by an employee in their own time using their
> materials. on the other hand, authorization of the work by the
> employer may led to loss of rights to material created by the employee
> in the employer's time. any agreements related to employment will be
> interpreted under employment law rather than contract law (which are
> quite different) so even a signed CCLA may offer little help to the
> ASF in the event of a dispute. so, may need an additional clause with
> different wording for those in similar jurisdictions.

Ok - note that it is encouragement, rather than a requirement, but
this is good - if there's something that works in European employment
law that helps achieve our goal of reducing the possible claims on
the Harmony codebase, we're all ears... :)

geir

geirm@apache.org