incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO2 Snapshots
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:41:13 GMT
Hi Brett,

On Aug 6, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 8/7/05, Craig Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brett,
>>
>> I looked at ibiblio and found some "official-looking" jars checked
>> in. It
>> seems that we might use javax.jdo as the group name for the
>> jdo2.jar (this
>> is the official API) once JDO is official, and then use either
>> org.apache.jdo or org.apache.db.jdo as the group name for the rest
>> of the
>> release.
>>

> Sounds good - it will the RI, right?

Actually, there are four parts to a JCP project: the spec itself, the
API, the RI, and the TCK. The spec is under JCP rules, the API is in
Apache, as is the TCK. The RI is being developed as a separate open
source project (JPOX).

> That's what we've done with
> servlet/jsp api from Tomcat (I assume that's what you are referring to
> - please let me know if there are any other non-distributable
> "official-looking" JARs that our block list missed :)

I'm not the expert on what jar files should be blocked, but I know
that we have permission from Sun to distribute JDO under Apache
license. So there should not be any issues there.

>> If the group name is intended to reflect the actual root package
>> name, then
>> org.apache.jdo would seem correct. If it's not, perhaps someone
>> can offer
>> some pointers to where the discussion took place so I could
>> understand it
>> better.
>>

> This is a purely policy decision - I went with the project name in my
> original proposal (basically matching the subversion structure), but
> Jakarta Commons folks preferred to keep the shorter name that matched
> the package which makes sense. Especially given that jdo is unlikely
> to crop up as a different project outside of DB, org.apache.jdo sounds
> fine.

Good. The "official" package prefix org.apache.jdo is actually
shorter than the project name org.apache.incubator.jdo or
org.apache.db.jdo. So we'll plan to use group id org.apache.jdo. And
it sounds like as long as we include SNAPSHOT in the artifact id we
should be able to publish on the apache web site (not the ibiblio
site until official approval).

Thanks,

Craig