incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:06:59 GMT
--On August 1, 2005 2:33:51 AM +0800 Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
wrote:

> Isn't it possible that the ASF mailing lists and policies stay the way
> they  are, and that each of the Harmony contributors provide a LGPL
> license  separately for all code/patches provided (in advance or each
> post) for the  GPL peeps to be able to use the material and output of
> such discussions ??

That won't work if the intention is for the code to enter a FSF code
repository.  The FSF demands copyright ownership on all code - which means
that they don't allow their contributions to be available under any other
license.  In contrast, the ASF only asks for a copyright license and we
don't care what other licenses you grant other people.

This is not to mention that certain countries (such as Germany) forbid
copyright transfer entirely.  I have no idea what the FSF does for its
German contributors.  -- justin