incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:04:09 GMT
robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/30/05, Dalibor Topic <robilad <at> kaffe.org> wrote:

> > Could you list the parts of the ASL2 are relevant for a license to be
> > ASL2-compatible?
>
> all of them :)

Thank you for your reply, Robert!

That clears up my confusion a bit.

> IMHO the free software foundation's theory of implicit patent grants
> being embedded in the GPL is quite novel.

For a humanely readable description of how it works (by a patent
attorney), see
http://www.iusmentis.com/computerprograms/opensourcesoftware/patentrisks/

> > And as you've been kind
> > to explain, ASL2 is quite a different beast from some other BSD-like
> > licenses in various ways, for example in that it does not grant
> > sublicensing rights to patents.
>
> i'm a little confused...

Yeah, sorry about that.  ;(

I read in Rosen's book that the AFL allows to
sublicense works under it freely, including granted patents, and he
creates the elaborate 'restriction stripping' setup I explored wth Roy
wrt to the Apache license here, in his book in chapter 10. I mentally
put the  AFL in the BSD-like basket, and didn't check whether other
BSD-like license exist that address the patent grant questions in a
similar way, or at all. I should have mentioned the AFL explicitely.

cheers,
dalibor topic