incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Johnson <dave.john...@rollerweblogger.org>
Subject Roller status (was Re: **** QUARTERLY REPORTS DUE ****)
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:54:37 GMT
Here's a summary of Roller status:

Development status

- Work is proceeding on Roller 2.0, which will be ready in August. The
main (and possibly only) new feature of Roller 2.0 will be group
blogging support -- this is a big feature and requires a very large
number of changes to the code base and user interface
- Work is proceeding on Roller 1.3, which will be ready this month. The
main feature will be better theme management.
- Roller 1.2 was released from Java.Net as a totally non-Apache
release, but using code from the Apache incubator's Subversion
repository (we hope to do the same thing for 1.3, but that's up for
discussion).

Licensing issues

Roller requires several LGPL components and we're working to resolve
LGPL issues. We have been discussing this challenging issue in depth,
here is a summary of the apparent consensus:

- We hope that ASF will come to some agreement with either FSF or
Hibernate folks which will allow us to continue to use Hibernate
- We are investigating ways to download our dependencies at
build/install time, so that we don't have to distribute LGPL jars (but
other work is taking priority right now)
- We're willing to wait out the LGPL issue for a reasonable period of
time, as long as there is some way for us to continue to make releases
to our existing user community

Infrastructure issues

- Roller code base has been moved into the Apache incubator's
Subversion archive
- Roller project is now using Apache incubator dev and user mailing
lists
- A draft of our STATUS file has been created and is ready for review
by mentor
- We're not listed on any of the incubator pages yet (can we fix this?)

- Dave