incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony Podlling Quarterly Report
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:59:00 GMT

On Jul 26, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 04:46, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> We have the following outstanding issue that I will be talking to the
>> Apache Incubator PMC about - parts of the community have asked that
>> we change our default license for mail list contributions to a
>> license compatible with the GPL, as the Apache License is deemed
>> incompatible by the FSF.
>>

> I doubt this should be discussed with the Incubator PMC in
> isolation and I
> think a wider audience is wiser.

Clearly.  But we'll start on general@ incubator, and if we need to go
elswhere, we do.

> legal-discuss@, members@ and board@ is definately going to be very
> interested
> in this.
>
> "default license for mail list contributions" is also a term new to
> *me*. Care
> to explain what that means??

Sure - every mail list at the ASF has been understood to be under the
Apache License for contributions, and if you choose to submit
something to a mail list that isn't intended for people to use, you
mark it as "NOT A CONTRIBUTION".

Without this, no one could take anything from mail lists and use in
projects because they wouldn't have been contributed under a license
we accept.

I just simply made the policy explicit.  I believe every list here
should do it, and once we get some issues out of the way, I'll
propose to the greater ASF.

geir

geirm@apache.org