incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Beehive into a TLP
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:19:53 GMT
On Jul 14, 2005, at 3:51 PM, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Could someone please provide information on any patents known to apply
> to this project?

No, damnit. That is not how patents work!  If we are notified of a
patent owned by some entity that has not signed a CLA and contributed
the code, then and ONLY THEN do we spend time analyzing whether the
claims apply to some project of ours.  Under no circumstances should
an Apache project go out and search for patents that might apply
based on their own opinion of what is claimed or what we implement.

....Roy