incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r178965 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/learn/newcommitters.html
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:42:17 GMT
On Jul 6, 2005, at 3:42 AM, Ted Husted wrote:

> IMHO, the idea of discussing the vote on the PMC list and then having
> the vote on the dev@ list sounds better on paper than in practice. In
> practice, the discussion becomes the vote, and creating a second
> thread on the DEV list is just going through the motions.

Some times it is better for the public to see us "go through the
motions", and thereby get a handle on how we make decisions.
In particular, I believe that the public vote provides benefits
when people have to earn status as a committer.  I don't see it
as useful when commit access is handed out like candy.

Perhaps we could change it to private votes and a slightly more
formal process for the announcement (along with a suggestion that
the existing committers congratulate the newbie in public)?

> While transparency is good, honesty is better. When we start another
> thread on dev@, we create the illusion that the decision is being made
> on dev@. In practice, the decision has already been made. The PMC has
> discussed the candidate, and the candidate should have been contacted.
> (Yes, some candidates do decline!)
> While the PMC list is not public, it is archived, and the record is
> available to anyone who really needs to know, like root or the board.
> A pmc@ vote is every bit as legal and binding as a dev@ vote.

Only if the PMC is allowed to make decisions in private.  That was
certainly not the case when I wrote the httpd guidelines, though
I see that got lost in more recent edits.  I think that forbidding
a project from making official decisions in private has benefits
far beyond either form of committer votes.

Right now I see this process as a mixed bag that is made much
harder by the disjoint between the incubator PMC and the incubated
projects' private lists.  I wonder what would happen if we made
a single "private@incubator" list for all the podlings instead
of the separate ppmc lists?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: