incubator-general mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject XMLBeans PMC has voted to sponsor xmlbeanscxx
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:56:27 GMT

Incubator PMC,

The XMLBeans PMC voted last month to sponsor the XMLBeans/C++
proposal as a subproject for incubation.  I have agreed to mentor the
project.  The proposal is copied below; the vote results are posted
at: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlbeans-dev/200506.mbox/
%3cc5e6325505060609587a72d6f4@mail.gmail.com%3e.

I have just created a /repos/asf/incubator/xmlbeanscxx directory in
svn and will be following up shortly with an infrastructure request
for mailing lists.  I've also already sent out the root request now
that all iCLAs have been received and recorded.

Thanks,
Cliff

On 5/15/05, Heidi Buelow <heidi.buelow@roguewave.com> wrote:
 > This is a proposal for an xmlbeans subproject which should be
discussed here
 > and voted on at the xmlbeans PMC before going to the incubator for
a vote.

 > Proposal to create a C++ version of the Apache XMLBeans project
 >
 > Submission date: 15 May 2005, Tim Triemstra, Heidi Buelow (TimT @
RogueWave
 > dot-com, Buelow @ RogueWave dot-com)
 >
 > (0) rationale
 >
 > Apache currently maintains the XMLBeans/Java project, a tool that
uses XML
 > Schema as a basis for generating Java classes used to easily
access XML
 > instance data. The goal of the XMLBeans/C++ project is to provide
a very
 > similar user experience for C++ developers as that provided by the
 > XMLBeans/Java version. This includes generating strongly-typed C++
classes
 > for the XML binding as well as providing low-level C++ APIs
enabling access
 > to the raw, underlying XML content. Where possible, the XMLBeans/C+
+ project
 > will provide a nearly identical API and parallel architecture to that
 > provided by the Java counterpart, and will closely mimic both
features and
 > schedule.
 >
 > Rogue Wave Software will help jump start this project by
contributing the
 > existing XML to C++ binding code distributed as part of the LEIF
product to
 > the Apache community. This product has been in production for over
two
 > years, and will provide a solid foundation for a C++ version of
XMLBeans.

 > (0.1) criteria
 >
 > Meritocracy: The C++ version of the project should adhere to the
same open,
 > merit-based community standards as other Apache projects.
 >
 > Contributions and Core Developers: Code being contributed is
actually a
 > subset of the LEIF product. Currently, work is underway to remove any
 > proprietary dependencies from within the code. A "cleaned" version
that is
 > ready for contribution will be made available to the community
around the
 > middle of May 2005. This initial contribution will be fully
functioning, but
 > missing a few key features of the Java version of XMLBeans.
 >
 > The community should be able to immediately jump in and begin
work, along
 > side dedicated Rogue Wave personnel, to turn the initial
contribution into a
 > feature-compatible version of XMLBeans for C++.
 >
 > Community: The community around the Java version of XMLBeans is
already
 > vibrant and growing. There is every reason to believe many of
those within
 > the existing community have experience and/or general interest in a
 > successful, compatible C++ implementation of the toolset. This
should ensure
 > an immediately active and vocal community, even if the primary
interest is
 > in ensuring a similar experience between versions. There is
already a large
 > group of developers "in the wild" using the original XML to C++
binding tool
 > that is serving as the original contribution for this project.
These users
 > will be migrating to the XMLBeans/C++ code over time and have already
 > indicated a keen interest in tracking, and even participating in the
 > Apache-led project.
 >
 > Apache Alignment: The XML binding tool from which the XMLBeans/C++
port will
 > morph does not include a full XML parser, but instead uses a
small, focused
 > parser designed expressly for tight C++ to XML binding support.
The general
 > purpose XML instance data APIs within XMLBeans will require
additional code
 > and may be a good fit for the Xerces parser to enable some required
 > features.
 >
 > Additionally, at least one member of an existing Apache project has
 > expressed interest in a project like XMLBeans/C++ to aid in his
current
 > work. Higher-level projects such as Axis for C++ seem to be natural
 > beneficiaries of this work.
 >
 > (0.2) known risks
 >
 > Orphaned Products: One of the first questions when a commercial
entity
 > offers code to the public is "will this code be abandoned?" To be
clear,
 > Rogue Wave decided to initiate this process due to its own
significant
 > interest in the XMLBeans feature set already present in Java, and
its need
 > for similar features in C++. We have significant product goals moving
 > forward around XML for which the XMLBeans model fits perfectly.
Rather than
> [...]
 > Additionally, there is every intention to use XMLBeans/C++ within
future
 > commercial products, thereby resulting in even greater testing and
user
 > exposure. It is expected that other companies may well wish to use
the
 > project's code within their own commercial endeavors, which of
course would
 > be fine.
 >
 > (1) scope of the subproject
 >
 > The XMLBeans/C++ subproject will conform to the identical scope as
that laid
 > out for the partner Java project. Special care will be taken to
implement
 > features and add conveniences that would be expected by a C++
developer.

 > For clarity, the goals of the XMLBeans/C++ project are:
 >
 > Generation of plain C++ classes to model XML Schema Validation of C++
 > objects against the source XML Schema Access to partial document
instance
 > data (fragments) Efficient "parse as necessary" access that
forgives extra
 > data Access to the full XML infoset
 >

 > (2) identify the initial source for subproject code
 >
 > Some background information may be found on the LEIF product and the
 > associated Data Tier.
 >
 > LEIF product page (http://www.roguewave.com/products/leif)
 >
 > The C++/XML binding contribution code can be found at the
following link:

 > xmlBeans open source information
 > (http://www.roguewave.com/opensource/XMLbeans.cfm)
 >
 > (3) identify the ASF resources to be created
 >
 > (3.1) mailing list(s)
 >
 > xmlbeanscxx-dev
 > xmlbeanscxx-user
 > xmlbeanscxx-commits
 >
 > (3.2) SVN repositories
 >
 > xml-xmlbeanscxx
 >
 > (3.3) Bugzilla
 >
 > xml xmlbeanscxx
 >
 > (4.0) identify the initial set of committers
 >
 > This is a preliminary list that will be updated with volunteer
members.

 > Tim Triemstra (TimT @ RogueWave dot-com)
 > John Hinke (Hinke @ RogueWave dot-com)
 > Heidi Buelow (Buelow @ RogueWave dot-com)
 > Allen Brookes (ABrookes @ RogueWave dot-com)
 > David Haney (David.Haney @ RogueWave dot-com)
 > Michael Yoder (Michael.Yoder @ RogueWave dot-com)
 >
 > (5) identify apache sponsoring individual
 >
 > Cliff Schmidt, of the XMLBeans/Java project, has volunteered to
sponsor this
 > project.
 >
 > Cliff Schmidt (CliffS @ Apache dot-org)
 >
 > (6) open issues for discussion
 >
 > The original code contribution has a lot of proven code for
creating a
 > binding between XML Schema and C++ classes. However, the
contribution will
 > require a significant overhaul, and even complete re-writes in
some areas,
 > in order to reach compatibility with the XMLBeans/Java version.
Detailed